2023 years ago
RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENTS' MANUAL
SUNDAY 6TH OF FEBRUARY, 2022
LESSON TWENTY-THREE (23)
TOPIC: CHRISTIANS AND POLITICS (PART 2)
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day,
Thy friend friendship suits me well,
Both young and will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I'll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
MEMORY VERSE: "The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God. 2 Samuel 23:3.
BIBLE PASSAGE: 2 Samuel 23:1-4.
Now these be the last words of David. David the son of Jesse said, and the man who was raised up on high, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel, said,
The Spirit of the LORD spake by me, and his word was in my tongue.
The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spake to me, He that ruleth over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God.
And he shall be as the light of the morning, when the sun riseth, even a morning without clouds; as the tender grass springing out of the earth by clear shining after rain.
INTRODUCTION: In our previous lesson, we
highlighted some misconceptions held by some Christians in some circles. We also examined some of the reasons Christians should be involved in politics from biblical perspective. In today's lesson, we shall attempt to guide Christians with genuine intentions on how to be practically involved in politics and avoid the pitfalls.
1. HOW TO BE INVOLVED IN POLITICS
2. THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR IN POLITICS
HOW TO BE INVOLVED IN POLITICS
Christians should note that it is their civic right and responsibility under the law (Titus 3:1, 1Pet.2:13-14) to vote and be voted for (Deut113). Therefore, every eligible Christian should register with the relevant
electoral body in order to participate during elections. In addition, it is important for Christians to be 'card-carrying' members of any political party of preference. By so doing, Christians can contest and be voted into elective positions or influence the choice of their representatives for elective positions (Ex.18:21).
To join a political party, you need to get information. Visit the websites of the parties available in your country or the respective party secretariat within your locality. Go through their detailed profiles to
know the party's ideology and manifesto. Fill a party registration form and provide supporting documents/payments as may be required. A membership card will be issued to you as confirmation. Attend party meetings regularly and actively in order to be a voice to be reckoned with.
Christians aspiring for elective leadership positions should be sure to have a leading, burden or passion to serve the people and solve problems (1Sam.17:29; 34-37, Neh.2:1-5).
In order to succeed in politics, Christians should read books and attend seminars/conferences
leadership/politics Prov.16:16). It is also important to be mentored by a seasoned Christian political leader (Prov.1.5; 1114).
Christians may also prayerfully join or support an advocacy group (Esther 4:8, 13-14) or form a political party with peoples of like-minds (1 Sam.22:2, Dan.2:49).
THINGS TO WATCH OUT FOR IN POLITICS
Christians, who are into politics, or aspiring to hold political posts, should be prayerful and watch out for pitfalls to avoid soiling their garments (1 Cor.15:33). They should therefore:
1. Desist from any thought or act of wickedness. Politics is not a 'do or die' affair (Prov.16:12).
2. Avoid prayerlessness (James 5:16b-18, Ps.91:15, Dan.6:10). Our adversary is vigilant not resting, be sober and vigilant (1 Pet.5:8).
3. Shun all foolishness: get the necessary qualifications or experience (James 1:5, 1 Sam.17:34-37) and wisely act (Matt.10:16).
4. Never dabble into politics without a godly burden or passion (Neh.2:1-5).
5. Avoid compromise: stand by your godly virtues and principles (1 Cor.10:31).
6. Distinguish yourself and do not be hypocritical (1 Cor.6:17; Rom.12:2).
7. Do not be lured into cultism or bad caucus in the name of 'belonging', seeking power relevance or outwit others (1 Cor.15:33).
8. Beware of the negative influence of political god-fathers (Prov.12:5; 25:26).
9. Be resolute in the face of persecution and propaganda. (Neh.4:3, 6; Neh.6:5-7; Dan 6:11-14).
10.Avoid abuse of power. Do not be tyrannical (2 Chron.26:16-18).
CONCLUSION: Join a political party today and be a Christian of influence.
1. Mention ways to be involved in politics.
2. List five (5) things to watch out for in politics.
FOR FURTHER READINGS: MON: Rom.12:2;
TUE: Ex.18:4; WED: 2 Chron.19:7; THUR: Ps.110:2; FRI: Neh.6:5-7; SAT: 1Sam.17:29; SUN: James 5:16b-18.
ASSIGNMENT: Mention ten (10) things yuu will do if you become a Governor.