RCCG SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENTS' MANUAL
SUNDAY 30TH OF JANUARY, 2022
LESSON TWENTY-TWO (22)
TOPIC: CHRISTIANS AND POLITICS (PART 1)
SUNDAY SCHOOL HYMN
1. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day,
O how I love Thee well,
I am happy, it makes me glad
To rejoice at Thy birth.
2. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day,
Thy friend friendship suits me well,
Both young and will sing Thy song,
We long for Sunday School.
3. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day,
Christ was Thy first teacher,
The Holy Spirit, great teacher,
Does manifest in thee.
4. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day,
This testimony is sure,
That God, the Father Almighty,
Poured His blessing on Thee
5. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day,
Though the sun be so bright,
Or if the clouds be black with rain,
I'll be in Sunday School.
6. O Sunday School, on the Lord's day
I rejoice to see Thee,
Will thou pass over me today?
Without my being blest?
MEMORY VERSE: "When the righteous are in
authority, the people rejoice; but when the
wicked beareth rule, the people mourn." Proverbs 29:2.
BIBLE PASSAGE: Nehemiah 5:14-19.
Moreover from the time that I was appointed to be their governor in the land of Judah, from the twentieth year even unto the two and thirtieth year of Artaxerxes the king, that is, twelve years, I and my brethren have not eaten the bread of the governor.
But the former governors that had been before me were chargeable unto the people, and had taken of them bread and wine, beside forty shekels of silver; yea, even their servants bare rule over the people: but so did not I, because of the fear of God.
Yea, also I continued in the work of this wall, neither bought we any land: and all my servants were gathered thither unto the work.
Moreover there were at my table an hundred and fifty of the Jews and rulers, beside those that came unto us from among the heathen that are about us.
Now that which was prepared for me daily was one ox and six choice sheep; also fowls were prepared for me, and once in ten days store of all sorts of wine: yet for all this required not I the bread of the governor, because the bondage was heavy upon this people.
Think upon me, my God, for good, according to all that I have done for this people.
LESSON INTRODUCTION: Generally, politics
can be described as the methodology and activities associated with running a government, an organization or a movement.
Politics is all about influence. It is this influence that further births positive or negative changes in the lives of the people. The involvement of Christians in politics is neither Christianity because it is the desire of God that believers take charge and have influence here on earth (Gen.1:28; Matt.5:13-16).
MISCONCEPTION ABOUT POLITICS
Some Christians are of the opinion that, since our kingdom is not of this world, we do not have to be involved in any political activity in the world we presently live in (Jn.17:14). This is not the whole truth but a misconception aimed at robbing us of our godly heritage of dominion (Ps.8:6; 1 Pet. 2:9; Rev.5:10). Here are some reasons for the misconception or wrong notions about involvement of Christians in politics;
1. Politics is a dirty game and a worldly affair.
2. Political involvements will take one to hell.
3. All politicians are liars, corrupt and promiscuous
4. It is an opportunity to embezzle money or amass wealth unlawfully.
5. Most politicians are fetish or occultic.
WHY SHOULD CHRISTIANS BE INVOLVED IN
In order to disabuse our minds as Christians about our active involvement in politics, we need to consider the following reasons objectively:
1. It is the desire of God that believers take charge and have influence here on earth (Deut.28:13). We are to take the lead and allow kingdom values to shape our society (Matt.5:13-16).
2. The leaders we elect, or fail to elect have great influence on our freedom, well-being and the fulfilment of our God-given mandate. They can choose to protect our rights to worship and spread the gospel, or prevent us from exercising such rights (Esther 4:14; Dan.6:7).
3. Politics like other sectors of national developments (Health, Finance, etc.), should be explored to "teach all nations" in order to demonstrate the exemplary life and flavour of godliness (Dan.6:1-3; Matt.28:19-20).
4. The involvement of godly Christians in politics will reduce corruption, disorderliness, mischief and other socio-economic vices in the society (2 Chron.14:1-6; Prov.29:2).
5. To effect positive and lasting changes that will benefit the society (Gen.41:33-40; Prov.14:34).
CONCLUSION: God is still looking for the righteous few, in order to uplift our nations (Gen.18:32).
1. Mention four (4) misconceptions believers have about politics.
2. Why should Christians be involved in politics?
FOR FURTHER READING: MON: Dan.2:4, TUE: 2 Cor.5:20; WED: James 2:12; THUR: Rom.12:2; FRI: 1Cor.10:31; SAT: Matt.5:13-16; SUN: 2 Chron.14:1-6.
ASSIGNMENT: Mention five (5) consequences of appointing or electing ungodly/bad people to lead.0 Comment(s)
advertise your image here
Download our free event guide template to help you setup a successful event for you and your attendees.